Tuesday 8 October 2013

I am not alone.

I left because our village was dead and Mama was bloated. Her eyes had sunk into her sockets revealing how hollow she was without food.
I left thinking of Papa’s last words.

‘I will be the one to go; there will be food for us all at the feeding station. Stay alive. Do that for me and don’t give up!’

He was strong enough for the walk but that was days ago. I wanted to tell him I was strong too.
I walked out onto the dusty track, belly first. I was so sore. I could feel the dry earth scraping my heels. I kept walking and I cried.
I cried because it was too hot because my bones ached because there was nothing I could do but walk. Then I could not walk. I sat on the dry stoned earth and begged it to swallow me. The earth could not answer.
But I was not alone.
It was behind me lurking on the dusty track. I’ve seen it before on this path when Papa and I would go to the rubbish tip, I’ve seen it hunched over dead animals. Its eyes look past you but not at you.
I knew it was there. I bowed to the earth and I cried out to Papa.


‘Please come back Papa. Please don’t let it eat me or its beak pierce my sore belly! I am strong, I will get up now and I will not give up.’

2 comments:

  1. I thought I commented. I guess I did on Facebook. This has an accompanying photo but is not needed as the words will tell all. The shoes is a favorite..so unique ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete